Should I Be Worried About Extreme Heat Affecting My Air Conditioner?
Here’s a look at how extreme heat affects your air conditioner and tips for keeping it running problem-free all year.
Common AC Problems Caused by Extremely Hot Days
If this continues, the oil inside your compressor will break down, and the unit will eventually fail.
Tips for Reducing Strain on Your Air Conditioner
There are a few ways to help your air conditioner along on the hottest days. Following these tips will also extend your AC unit’s life. Ultimately, the goal is to reduce the work that it’s doing to keep your home cool.
- Keep your thermostat set to about 78 degrees when you’re home. Set it a few degrees higher when you’re away.
- Switch out your filter at least once a month. If you have pets, consider changing the filter more frequently.
- Keep doors shut in unused rooms.
- Keep curtains and blinds shut. Use black-out curtains if possible.
- Run ceiling fans in a counterclockwise motion to circulate the cool air downward.